Friday, February 21, 2014

End of February, Many Plans Ahead

February 21, 2014
This blog is a place to put my gardening thoughts.

At the moment, my gardens lie beneath two feet of snow, a layer which has either been added to or melting depending on the day this past week. I have my Johnny's seed order fulfilled and sitting in my desk, and I have bought an odd packet or two in the drug store and hardware store. Pink alyssum, nasturtiums, and moonflowers (which I hope to germinate in baggies). My notebook has a list of plants and/or seeds to ferret out in nurseries in the Spring: Dutchman's pipe, goatsbeard, sea holly, false Queen Anne's lace, rosebay rhododendron, winterberry, agastache and speedwell. I also have a list begun for next Fall since I discovered too late that I would like to try alliums.

Let's call the geese official Compost Aides. I can't be sorry about resupplying straw and layer pellets every week when the soiled bedding and kitchen waste continues to heap into ever-larger piles adjacent to their Palace. Seeds and rotting compost comprise my hopes for 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment