Sunday, March 30, 2014

Several Sweet Potatoes Later

Once upon a time in the fourth grade, I grew a huge sweet potato plant that I sustained through several years. I think that was an accomplishment for a nine year old and probably represents the first green thing I ever tended. No doubt the idea came from a Science column in a Highlights or Scholastic magazine. Remembering that plant with its lush greenery and probable tolerance of neglect, I wanted another. Despite two false starts, I have triumphed



.

Fifty-one years after the first plant, I began the project from memory with a potato from the produce department of the local grocery store. To the best of my recollection, all I had to do was use toothpicks to support the potato butt-end in a glass of water and wait. I watched for six weeks and saw absolutely no change in the potato, not even rot. I added research to my remembering and discovered today's commercial potatoes are sprayed in order to prevent the eyes from sprouting and therefore have a longer shelf life. Next logical step, I bought a four dollar organic sweet potato from the Blue Hill Coop, stuck the toothpicks in, and perched the new subject in a new glass of water. One month later: nada. I put this notion back on the shelf inside my head until three weeks ago I spied a sweet potato with a hint of sprout in the John Edwards Market in Ellsworth. This potato too claimed to be organic. Again with the toothpicks and again with the water  but this time I met with success. I watched with delight as a lovely set of roots spread through the bottom of the glass and tiny deep purple leaves unfurled at the top. Yesterday, I transplanted the potato into soil and today I stare at it for many moments at a time as it will be three weeks until I plant seeds under my new EnviroGro light. Thank you, Potato, for growing.


1 comment:

  1. I too have had to struggle with recalcitrant sweets. i wondered why and then wondered what that means for our digestion etc! ..

    ReplyDelete