Monday, July 21, 2014

Hypertufa

I had a combined Mah Jongg-Hypertufa party on July 1. My buddies made planters while I made a tabletop. I did try to make a planter following a Martha Stuart recipe because I wanted a large planter with a basket weave surface: I bought an old wicker hamper at a yard sale and wrapped it with duct tape and created a foam insert as a form. It was difficult to make the walls uniform as I pushed the cement/peat moss/perlite mixture around the hamper interior. Although I know the curing of cement is a chemical process and cement can cure underwater, I saw a marked difference in the curing of the planters vs. the curing of the duct tape-wicker-foam sandwich. End result is my hamper planter never attained any robustness and crumbled into bits. But my table top is fairly gorgeous and I hope the edges grow moss. Actually, I may attempt the yogurt moss blender method to expedite the growing of moss. Of course, that experiment has never worked for me the past five times I have tried it, but garden hope springs eternal.



No comments:

Post a Comment