Thursday, May 21, 2015

Garden Evolution

First, there was a series of wicked storms in November through January, events which caused many a tree to bend over and lay parallel to the ground. Then there was the six foot layer of snow which covered my property February through mid-April. Too many trees would never grow upright again. This was the garden equivalent of receiving a truckload of lemons.  My version of making lemonade was to create a new garden space.

Any tree or seedling with more then a thirty degree bend was sawed at the base. The sawing coincided with my 2015 load of rotten rock delivery - rotten rock is pink granite too rotten to sculpt. The stuff serves a superb base for paths and sitting areas. Here is the current pile and the new entryway into what I will call the Fern Garden. I found pillars at my favorite antique store, West Bay Antiques,  in Gouldsboro last week - of course, now I need gargoyles. I also am searching for a few more beams from the dump's burn-pile so that I can fashion a raised bed which will feature...me.

My planned design is a circle of sitting area at the end of the entryway. The ground falls away gently from the sitting area and already has a host of fiddleheads. The green jardiniere is three feet is diameter, a score from an antique store in Owego, New York about a million years ago. The ferns were already established in the shady interior and will now grow more prolific. Perhaps I need a statue or two as well?



No comments:

Post a Comment