Sunday, May 17, 2015

Planting at Last

I am enjoying a weekend with two unencumbered days. After I did an hour of rotten rock path restoration, my dog Walter and I took a short trip to the dump and a long trip to Ellsworth. I bought goose food and groceries and the beginnings of the plant list I assembled all winter long: a little flat of portulaca, two bush honeysuckles, a tiger eye sumac and a Joe Pye weed. The portulaca went into the hanging planter on the deck, the Joe Pye weed was installed near the pond, the honeysuckles went into last year’s salvaged bed near the echinacea, and the sumac was given its own nook within which to grow six feet tall and six feet wide. There was rain last night and fog now, I will actually water today to "drive" the water further into the ground. Plants and paths will get a much needed drink. The weather has been dry with temperatures locked into a 40 degree low-60 degree high pattern. I haven't planted my seeds because I have been concerned about soil temperatures as well as the need to water tender seedlings. Now of course I am itching to put everything into the ground. We'll see how much restraint I exercise through this day, good thing I literally have a ton of rotten rock that I can play with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment