Sunday, April 27, 2014

Yard Sale Season and Nursery Season

Spring may be officially begun but daily temperatures are stalled. Highs flirt near sixty, lows seldom go below forty but that translates into too cold soil. Many, many of my perennials ignore the facts and grow just a little larger every day: ladies mantle, Shasta daisy, feverfew, lambs ears, lilies and lavender. The shrubs know it is spring as well: mock orange, weigela, climbing hydrangea all show signs of budding. The mint is ready to take over the world. The portulaca indoors is tiny but happy under the grow lights. I have moonflower seeds soaking in the kitchen, and desert bluebell seeds scattered on the south facing slope past the birdfeeder. Their seed packet said "two weeks before the last frost" and I believe I am there. I have been to my first yard sale of 2014 and scavenged four free cinder blocks for my compost  structure. A junk store yielded a pedestal perfect for my terra cotta yard sale find from last summer. Rhododendron maximum independence has been purchased from O'Donal's Nursery and installed. I sawed through the last of the tree seedling stumps in order to have the perfect woods path for my blind Jack Russell but I was dressed in fleece and a hat. So it's not warm, but hey, the snow is gone and there is actual green in the yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment